Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Holy Canoli Batman!!

This is what I learned today... Big does not necessarily equal tough! What am I talking about? I will explain. I went into the garage tonight to turn off the pool pump. Is this scary? NO Have I done it a million times? YES Did something happen tonight? OH YEAH>>> I was chased in the house by a bat. A bat? Yep, bat! Do I mean, a man swinging a bat? NOPE, I mean, the little flying mammal, that looks like a mouse, with wings... I have an aunt who SWEARS that she'd rather have a bat in her hair than a tick on her. NEGATIVE, I can now conclusively say, "Bring on the tick!!"

When I went outside, the light in the garage was on. Nothing new, Shane had gone up to the chicken houses, (they are catching 2 houses tonight). I am on my way down the stairs, and there in the corner of the garage, hanging upside down at the very top of the ceiling is a bat, I assume nesting for the night, or whatever they do. No problem, isn't it cute? I mean, how handy, since he had probably already eaten 1000 mosquitoes, and is so much more productive than a bird! Well, it seems that he brought his people with him, or whatever a bat family is called. There flying around the garage at lightning speed is his partner (we'll call him Robin). So, the one guy is at the top of the garage, is bothering no one, and his presence is not so bothersome. Robin however, is swooping and circling the top of the garage, near the fluorescent lights. I have always heard that a bat's radar is marvy, and they NEVER hit things because of that sonar (I think that is the word instead of radar). I now have proof that this information is FALSE!! ROBIN flies DIRECTLY into the wall, I mean KERSPLAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OH MY!! Of course, I wasn't going to TOUCH him, but I knew that he had just committed suicide, and I wanted to see what a bat looked like up close. He had hit the wall, and then slid down it and came to rest behind a bicycle.

Since I had to turn the pump off anyway (remember the pool?) and he was right in the area, I went over. When I did, Robin RUNS AT ME!!! He didn't fly, he didn't screech, and since we know the term "blind as a bat", I can assume that he didn't know he was, but at the time, I wasn't thinking as much!!!!!!!!!! I screamed, almost killed myself getting back to the steps (remember my feet?) and never did turn the pump off. I've got a pattern for bat boxes if anyone needs it. At one time, I thought it'd be great to make some. I've changed my mind...

If you remember, Garrett had an appt. today for his sports' physical!! He is stepping in at 5 ft. 1"! Long gone are the days when he was 19 1/2 " long!!! Dr. Khan cleared him for anything he wanted to play. He had practice from 4-6, and from what I hear, it was a bad day. The heat, lack of practice since last football season, etc., made for a sick boy. He was better after he got home, but I am pretty sure he'll be sore tomorrow!! I'll be posting a current picture just as soon as I get MeMaw's camera!! I checked the UPS site, and it says its delivery is on schedule!!

Well, you have a great night! I MUST go to bed, I just wanted to share a day in the life of a chicken farmer's wife!! Love to all!!

1 comments:

Shanan said...

I can't quit laughing! You are getting a copy of Stellaluna for Christmas! That is the laugh I needed today! Sophi even laughed when I read it to her! Have you ever thought about being an author? Keep the stories coming....they crack me up.
Love ya-Shan

Slow Fade

Mooses and go carts - OH MY

Our GREAT day @ the H2O Park!!

Patti's pix

Graceson at horse camp - June '08

My football fella, holding the 4 1/2 lb princess, Lilli

My football fella, holding the 4 1/2 lb princess, Lilli

Please let me know you're here!!